ThromboGenics NV - Business Update
LEUVEN, Belgium, November 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
Disclosure in accordance with the law of May 2, 2007
ThromboGenics NV (Euronext Brussels: THR), an integrated biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing innovative ophthalmic medicines, has today issued a business update and its nine-month financial results for the period ending 30 September, 2012.
Highlights (including post-period events)
- JETREA® (ocriplasmin) was approved by the U.S. Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) for the treatment of symptomatic Vitreomacular Adhesion (VMA) on the PDUFA date of 17 October
- In August, the prestigious medical journal the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) published the results from the JETREA® (ocriplasmin) Phase III clinical trial program. The publication ("Enzymatic Vitreolysis with Ocriplasmin for Vitreomacular Traction and Macular Holes") highlighted that JETREA® is superior to placebo in resolving VMA and related vitreomacular traction (VMT)
- ThromboGenics is on target to build a first-class US commercial organization to launch JETREA in January 2013
- The JETREA® Marketing Authorisation Application (MAA) is under review in Europe by the EMA; a CHMP opinion is expected in January 2013. A positive opinion would pave the way for EU approval in March 2013
- In March, ThromboGenics signed an important strategic deal with Alcon, the global leader in eye care, for the commercialization of JETREA® outside the U.S. ThromboGenics will receive up to €375 million in upfront and milestone payments plus royalties that will give it an important share of the economics from JETREA's sales outside the U.S.
- On October 30, ThromboGenics hosted a Capital Markets Day in Brussels for investors and analysts
- In March, ThromboGenics raised €77.8 million in a private placement
- In June, the Belgian tax authorities granted the Company a positive ruling enabling it to benefit from the application of the Belgian patent income deduction regime in conjunction with the existing deduction carry forwards of ThromboGenics NV
- ThromboGenics had €168.6 million in cash and cash investments as of 30 September 2012, compared with €88.3 million at the end of September 2011
- The Company reported revenues of €75.1 million in the first nine months of 2012 versus €2.5 million in the first nine months of 2011. The revenues in 2012 are almost entirely due to the upfront payment from Alcon
Dr. Patrik De Haes, CEO of ThromboGenics, said: "The FDA's approval of JETREA®, the first pharmacological treatment for symptomatic Vitreomacular Adhesion (VMA) in the U.S., is a transformational event for ThromboGenics and our shareholders.
"We are making excellent progress in building our U.S. commercial organization and I am sure that we will have a first-class team in place to launch JETREA® in January 2013. We are also encouraged by the high level of awareness of symptomatic VMA and the clinical data that we have generated with JETREA®.
"We are confident that the launch of JETREA® will be successful in the US. I believe the U.S. retina community and thousands of patients suffering with symptomatic VMA will welcome JETREA® as the first pharmacological treatment option for this progressive sight threatening condition whose only current treatment option is surgery."
For the full report, please go to http://www.thrombogenics.com.
About JETREA® (ocriplasmin)
JETREA® is a truncated form of human plasmin that has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of symptomatic VMA. JETREA® is a selective proteolytic enzyme that cleaves fibronectin, laminin and collagen, three major components of the vitreoretinal interface that play an important role in vitreomacular adhesion.
JETREA®has been evaluated in two multi-center, randomized, double-masked Phase III trials conducted in the U.S. and Europe involving 652 patients with vitreomacular adhesion. Both studies met the primary endpoint of resolution of VMA at day 28.
JETREA®'s Phase III program found that 26.5% of patients treated with ocriplasmin saw resolution of VMA, compared with 10.1% of patients receiving placebo (p<0.01). The Phase III program also showed that JETREA® was generally well tolerated with most adverse events being transient and mild in severity.
ThromboGenics is an integrated biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing innovative ophthalmic medicines. The Company's lead product, JETREA®(ocriplasmin), has been approved by the FDA for the treatment of symptomatic VMA.
ThromboGenics has successfully completed two Phase III clinical trials for the pharmacological treatment of symptomatic VMA. The Marketing Authorisation Application (MAA) for ocriplasmin is under review in Europe.
In March 2012, ThromboGenics signed a strategic partnership with Alcon (Novartis) for the commercialization of JETREA® outside the United States. Under this agreement, ThromboGenics could receive up to a total of €375 million in up-front and milestone payments. It will receive significant royalties from Alcon's net sales of JETREA®. Upon approval and commercialization outside the U.S. ThromboGenics and Alcon intend to share the costs equally of developing JETREA® for a number of new vitreoretinal indications.
ThromboGenics is also further exploring anti-PIGF (Placental Growth Factor), formerly referred to as TB-403, for the treatment of ophthalmic indications.
ThromboGenics is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium, and has offices in Iselin, New Jersey (US) and Dublin, Ireland. The Company is listed on the NYSE Euronext Brussels exchange under the symbol THR. More information is available at http://www.thrombogenics.com.
Important information about forward-looking statements
Certain statements in this press release may be considered "forward-looking". Such forward-looking statements are based on current expectations, and, accordingly, entail and are influenced by various risks and uncertainties. The Company therefore cannot provide any assurance that such forward-looking statements will materialize and does not assume an obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events or any other reason. Additional information concerning risks and uncertainties affecting the business and other factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from any forward-looking statement is contained in the Company's Annual Report.
This press release does not constitute an offer or invitation for the sale or purchase of securities or assets of ThromboGenics in any jurisdiction. No securities of ThromboGenics may be offered or sold within the United States without registration under the U.S. Securities Act of 1933, as amended, or in compliance with an exemption therefrom, and in accordance with any applicable U.S. state securities laws.
For further information please contact:
Wouter Piepers, Global Head of Corporate Communications
+32-16-75-13-10 / +32-478-33-56-32
Dr. Patrik De Haes, CEO
Chris Buyse, CFO
Citigate Dewe Rogerson
David Dible/ Nina Enegren/ Sita Shah
The Trout Group (US Investor Relations)
Todd James/ Simon Harnest
SOURCE ThromboGenics NV
Skapa innehåll för din webbplats
Förbättra din webbplats eller blogg med PR Newswires skräddarsydda nyhetsflöden.
Kontakta PR Newswire
Skicka oss ett mail till email@example.com eller ring oss på +46 (0)8 507 413 00
Bli en PR Newswire kund
Begär mer information, se PR Newswire produkter & tjänster eller ring oss på +46 (0)8 507 413 00