AVG Releases Five Tips for Cyber Monday
AMSTERDAM and SAN FRANCISCO, November 21, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
As consumers gear up to spend more than a billion dollars in a single day, AVG offers advice on how to keep that cash out of thieves' hands
AVG Technologies (NYSE: AVG), the provider of Internet and mobile security to 143 million active users, today announces five tips to help consumers ensure secure online shopping - just in time for Cyber Monday. Whether from desktops, laptops, tablets or smartphones, these AVG tips help consumers make purchases with confidence that personal data remain inaccessible to hackers and data thieves.
"When you get down to it, it's the potential exposure of financial information and identity theft that's on everyone's minds this time of year," said JR Smith, CEO of AVG Technologies. "If you have security software on your computer or mobile device it's relatively safe to shop online this holiday season, especially if you transact predominantly with big-brand retailers. However, there are numerous very straightforward things you can do to protect your transactions as well as secure your identity and credit card information while shopping online."
AVG offers consumers the following tips to demystify the practice of secure online shopping:
- Use only one card for all online purchases. Ensure it's one with a very low monthly balance of $500 or less and that has fraud protection. In addition, also monitor your statements on a regular basis, monthly at a minimum.
- Avoid making purchases or transmitting info over public Wi-Fi networks, as they can offer hackers easy access to data
- Equip mobile devices such as laptops, tablets and smartphones with access passwords and remote locking or wiping capabilities in the event they are lost or stolen
- Shop only from trusted brand-name merchants who use SSL protocol
- Install a simple-to-use, 100% free but highly effective security solution such as AVG Internet Security 2013 for your computer or AVG Mobilation for your smartphone.
According to ComScore, in 2011 consumers spent $1.25 billion dollars for online purchases on Cyber Monday, setting an all time record. In 2012, the National Retail Federation projects that amount will increase by 12%. According to the 2012 Identity Fraud Survey Report (Javelin Strategy & Research), 11.1 million American adults were victims of identity theft in 2010. On average a victim of identity theft spends 330 hours (or 41 eight hour working days) resolving the problem.
About AVG Technologies (NYSE: AVG)
AVG's mission is to simplify, optimize and secure the Internet experience, providing peace of mind to a connected world. AVG's powerful yet easy-to-use software and online services put users in control of their Internet experience. By choosing AVG's software and services, users become part of a trusted global community that benefits from inherent network effects, mutual protection and support. AVG has grown its user base to 143 million active users as of September 30, 2012 and offers a product portfolio that targets the consumer and small business markets and includes Internet security, PC performance optimization, online backup, mobile security, identity protection and family safety software.
Keep in touch with AVG
- For breaking news, follow AVG on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/officialAVGnews
- For small business security trends analysis, follow the AVG small business blog at small-business.blog.avg.com
- Join our Facebook community at http://www.facebook.com/AVGfree
- Join our LinkedIn community http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2719797
SOURCE AVG Technologies
Skapa innehåll för din webbplats
Förbättra din webbplats eller blogg med PR Newswires skräddarsydda nyhetsflöden.
Kontakta PR Newswire
Skicka oss ett mail till email@example.com eller ring oss på +46 (0)739 44 89 87 eller +46 (0)739 44 36 18
Bli en PR Newswire kund
Begär mer information , se PR Newswire produkter & tjänster eller ring oss på +46 (0)739 44 89 87 eller +46 (0)739 44 36 18